Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Life

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me - Phillipians 4:13

Many of life's circumstances are created by three basic choices: the disciplines you choose to keep, the people you choose to be with; and, the laws you choose to obey. --Charles Millhuff (evangelist)

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow. --Mahatma Gandhi

Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told, 'I am with you kid Let's go!' --Maya Angelou

These four quotes mean a lot to me when I think about life, especially where I have came from. I was born in the ghetto of an inner city. Raised by a mother who told how she tried to get rid of me in utero. This woman allowed me to go through some deplorable acts at the hands of my stepfather. It is a wonder that I made it through my childhood with only bipolar disorder. I learned that family extends beyond the biological and that the phrase "blood is thicker than water" needs an admendment; "but sometimes blood clots." I was lucky to have a wonderful grandmother as a child and when I was ten a couple of ladies from my church took me under their wing. One eventually took me into her home. My adopted family showed me what a real family is all about. Showed me that family disagree but they build each other up, not tear each other down. I learned that I had people who cared about me and my well being and my safety. They made it possible for me to trust.